Finally, Im getting around to Finnley's birth story.
****
It was Thursday Sept 6th 2012, I went in for hopefully my last Dr's appt. I had been debating all week about striping my membranes or letting nature take its course. My main reason for waiting was the boys flag football and soccer seasons were starting on Saturday. I love watching and supporting them in their endeavors. So my hope was to "try" and make myself go into Saturday night.
I was dilated to a 3 and about 80% effaced.
The Dr was onboard with my decision to wait, but advised me that if my water happened to break while watching any of the games to immediately leave to the hospital because I was so ready to go.
As the day went on, I would feel some pressure here and there, but nothing like contractions.
We had flag football practice that night and my sister kept telling me I looked like I was going to have a baby any minute. I really did feel fine, just huge and uncomfortable.
I decided to pack a hospital bag before bed, just to get more prepared for the weekend.
I went to bed around 10pm. I remember falling asleep and hearing an internal "pop". I was instantly soaked. My water broke! I had never had my water break on its own with the boys. I looked at the clock and it was 10:55pm. I wake James up and tell him we need to get ready to go. He gets up and asks if he has time to get in the shower!? I tell him it better be the fastest shower of his life. My contractions were not painful at this point, but the contractions were coming about every 3-5 mins.
I called Amanda to come over and she starts examining the fluid all over the floor. She's all confused that it is slightly yellow saying that it shouldn't be yellow and maybe its just a lot of urine. I tell her she's crazy. This starts me thinking that maybe it's meconium.
James gets out of the shower and we call his mom to come down to be with the kids.
As we are driving to Timpanogos Hospital my contractions are getting so painful. The drive felt like an eternity. At this point i'm getting worried that I am going to have this baby in the car. We arrive at the hospital and they immediately admit me to a room.
Its now 11:30pm. They check me and i'm dilated to a 6 and moving quick. They then confirm the meconium.
I of course am pleading with all my heart for the Anesthesiologist to come in right now and give me the epidural. The nurses get my IV in quick and the Anesthesiologist comes in and is chatting with me about my health and blah blah. I just keep telling him this baby is coming and to please hurry. I told him I would pay extra if he could just hurry. My contractions were getting more rapid and much more painful. I literally thought I was going to have this baby naturally.
I looked up at the nurse who was helping me and I say "you look really familiar", she replies "Yeah we went to high school together." Ahhhhh, Awesome.
The epidural kicked in around 11:50-11:55pm. I was so relieved, however I didn't have much time for any R&R. The doctor and nurses started piling in and since she was a meconium baby the NICU nurses and respiratory therapists get to join in on the party as well.
I remember looking at the clock and saying I need to wait till at least midnight to have this baby, that way I will get the full 2 days in the hospital.
They bring in the mirror and I start pushing.
I can't feel a thing. I think I pushed maybe 3 times, maybe 4.
I looked in the mirror and I can see all her hair, but its this nasty green color.
Dr. Melendez yells out "its Alphaba (wicked)". funny!
At 12:08am Baby Finnley made her appearance.
My love for her was instant. We did it. Our family was complete.
The NICU nurses immediately took her and started suctioning her and cleaning her up. The Dr said she was a big baby, I was thinking maybe 8lbs. No, this little girl was 8lbs 14 oz! She was almost 9lbs.
No wonder I was huge and uncomfortable. She was 1lb 1oz bigger then our biggest boy. When I was finally able to hold her, she was sucking away. She came out ready to eat!
We hung out in the delivery room for a little bit and around 3am were taken to our recovery room.
Signing all the papers after having the babe, with the nurse I went to high school with. She was a fantastic nurse!
****
I love the hospital. I love having the time with just the baby. I love having the other kids come and see the new baby. Its just such a bonding time.
I was sad to miss the boys first games of the seasons, but I was getting updates throughout each game.
We had a lot of visitors and are so grateful for family members who were so helpful with taking our boys!
I'll be honest, though I feel so complete with our family of 6, I am so sad to think I may never have a baby again. I love labor and delivery. It really makes me want to at least be a L&D nurse some day.
****
Im so glad my sister (amanda) made it just in time to take pictures of this experience.
****
Visitors:
Jagger couldn't get enough of the new baby. He was in her face the whole time!
Entertaining all the kids at the hospital is a hard job. Good thing we have an awesome daddy!
(Gma Katy, Heather, Great Gma Lois, Amanda, Gma Beth, and my besties Hayley, Ashley, Haley, and Rakelly all came and stopped in for a visit too. The cute blanket pictured below was made rakelly. Its so cute!)
****
It was Thursday Sept 6th 2012, I went in for hopefully my last Dr's appt. I had been debating all week about striping my membranes or letting nature take its course. My main reason for waiting was the boys flag football and soccer seasons were starting on Saturday. I love watching and supporting them in their endeavors. So my hope was to "try" and make myself go into Saturday night.
I was dilated to a 3 and about 80% effaced.
The Dr was onboard with my decision to wait, but advised me that if my water happened to break while watching any of the games to immediately leave to the hospital because I was so ready to go.
As the day went on, I would feel some pressure here and there, but nothing like contractions.
We had flag football practice that night and my sister kept telling me I looked like I was going to have a baby any minute. I really did feel fine, just huge and uncomfortable.
I decided to pack a hospital bag before bed, just to get more prepared for the weekend.
I went to bed around 10pm. I remember falling asleep and hearing an internal "pop". I was instantly soaked. My water broke! I had never had my water break on its own with the boys. I looked at the clock and it was 10:55pm. I wake James up and tell him we need to get ready to go. He gets up and asks if he has time to get in the shower!? I tell him it better be the fastest shower of his life. My contractions were not painful at this point, but the contractions were coming about every 3-5 mins.
I called Amanda to come over and she starts examining the fluid all over the floor. She's all confused that it is slightly yellow saying that it shouldn't be yellow and maybe its just a lot of urine. I tell her she's crazy. This starts me thinking that maybe it's meconium.
James gets out of the shower and we call his mom to come down to be with the kids.
As we are driving to Timpanogos Hospital my contractions are getting so painful. The drive felt like an eternity. At this point i'm getting worried that I am going to have this baby in the car. We arrive at the hospital and they immediately admit me to a room.
Its now 11:30pm. They check me and i'm dilated to a 6 and moving quick. They then confirm the meconium.
I of course am pleading with all my heart for the Anesthesiologist to come in right now and give me the epidural. The nurses get my IV in quick and the Anesthesiologist comes in and is chatting with me about my health and blah blah. I just keep telling him this baby is coming and to please hurry. I told him I would pay extra if he could just hurry. My contractions were getting more rapid and much more painful. I literally thought I was going to have this baby naturally.
I looked up at the nurse who was helping me and I say "you look really familiar", she replies "Yeah we went to high school together." Ahhhhh, Awesome.
The epidural kicked in around 11:50-11:55pm. I was so relieved, however I didn't have much time for any R&R. The doctor and nurses started piling in and since she was a meconium baby the NICU nurses and respiratory therapists get to join in on the party as well.
I remember looking at the clock and saying I need to wait till at least midnight to have this baby, that way I will get the full 2 days in the hospital.
They bring in the mirror and I start pushing.
I can't feel a thing. I think I pushed maybe 3 times, maybe 4.
I looked in the mirror and I can see all her hair, but its this nasty green color.
Dr. Melendez yells out "its Alphaba (wicked)". funny!
At 12:08am Baby Finnley made her appearance.
My love for her was instant. We did it. Our family was complete.
The NICU nurses immediately took her and started suctioning her and cleaning her up. The Dr said she was a big baby, I was thinking maybe 8lbs. No, this little girl was 8lbs 14 oz! She was almost 9lbs.
No wonder I was huge and uncomfortable. She was 1lb 1oz bigger then our biggest boy. When I was finally able to hold her, she was sucking away. She came out ready to eat!
We hung out in the delivery room for a little bit and around 3am were taken to our recovery room.
Signing all the papers after having the babe, with the nurse I went to high school with. She was a fantastic nurse!
****
I love the hospital. I love having the time with just the baby. I love having the other kids come and see the new baby. Its just such a bonding time.
I was sad to miss the boys first games of the seasons, but I was getting updates throughout each game.
We had a lot of visitors and are so grateful for family members who were so helpful with taking our boys!
I'll be honest, though I feel so complete with our family of 6, I am so sad to think I may never have a baby again. I love labor and delivery. It really makes me want to at least be a L&D nurse some day.
****
Im so glad my sister (amanda) made it just in time to take pictures of this experience.
****
Visitors:
Jagger couldn't get enough of the new baby. He was in her face the whole time!
Entertaining all the kids at the hospital is a hard job. Good thing we have an awesome daddy!
(Gma Katy, Heather, Great Gma Lois, Amanda, Gma Beth, and my besties Hayley, Ashley, Haley, and Rakelly all came and stopped in for a visit too. The cute blanket pictured below was made rakelly. Its so cute!)
Last Day. Packing up to go home.
Chubby little receding hairline baby!
She looks so tiny in her carseat.
****










1 comment:
Congrats to your family! She is beautiful. And of course you love L&D! It was like an hour long! ;)
Post a Comment