Friday, July 11, 2008

Family Reunion #2...Pioneer Trek

I decided last minute to go the Pioneer Trek. My mom's siblings have a reunion every other yr and this yr my Uncle Steve planned the Pioneer Trek. I didn't want to miss out on the experience. James was unable to make it, due to work, so I was husbandless. I am not a camper and esp not without James. The trek was really fun and the boys loved it. They loved riding in the handcart. There was about a 2 mile stretch where handcarts were not allowed and Cohen wanted me to hold him almost the whole time. It really wasn't too bad. I couldn't just leave him on the side of the trail. It really made me think about what the Pioneers had to go through. Luckily I have great family members who helped with Bosten. If I wasn't holding Cohen I was holding Bos. Towards the end of the stretch, while holding Cohen, who was extrememly tired, looked up at me and said "thank you, Mom". It was so cute and made it worth it. We then got the handcarts back and the boys were in Heaven (and so was i :). We crossed the Sweet Water River. This was Cohen's favorite part. He wanted to do it again.

We then camped for two nights and visited other historic sites. Between James and I, we forgot to put Cohen's tennis shoes in the suitcase. Thanks to my cousin Shelley who had an extra pair for her little girl. Yes, they were pink, but Cohen thought they were the coolest things. Cohen had a blast camping. It wasn't so bad, but i thnk I am all camped out for like 5 yrs!!

One of the Historic sites was a big rock. I can't remember the name, but it was a landmark to those on the Oregon Trail and Pioneer trail that they were half way or something. The travelers would carve their names into the rock. Cohen was scared to death about half way up, so Danny came and sat with him. Thanks Dan!!

It turned out to be such a fun trip and we had a great time. Thanks Uncle Steve! I am still opposed to camping, but Cohen loved it. So feel free to take him anytime. Another Thank You to Susie, Craig, and family for letting Cohen ride with you. He had a great time!

2 comments:

Ford Fam said...

Looks like fun. I am still so impressed you went, you are so much better a person than me. At least you came away with good memories and not bad ones!

Shay said...

I kept scrolling down excited to see a pic of you in a bonnet & long sleeve Laura Ingles dress...much to my dissappointment shorts & a t-shirt:(